Generation X is all about the flexible jobs, in surveys flexibility is often listed next to pay in importance. This is for several reasons. GenX is all about a work-life balance which is actually great for stress deduction. It is also best for employees with young children to have flexibility in their job. It is important to know that not all healthcare jobs or employers will offer flexibility, but here are some of the most flexible healthcare jobs in general.
- Medical Office Assistants are often able to work on a part time or casual basis. This is great for someone who is trying to work around school, hobbies, or a spouse’s schedule.
- Lab Tech Assistants can be a full time job, or you can get a hospital job that could be four days on and four days off, night shifts, casual, part time… it’s all about finding the right now.
- Dentists and Oral Surgeons tend to only work 4 days a week. And in busy dental offices dentist get to set their hours and they tend to have a lot of work for part-time employees. This means if you are a Dental Hygienist you can often have a flexible schedule too.
- There are Registered Nurses in the hospital day or night, so if you need to be home or take a class during the day you can come in at night for your shift. Hospitals are open 24/7 which generally means it is a flexible job!
- The other healthcare professionals who often have flexible hours are those who own their own practices. A Family Practitioner, OB/GYN’s, Podiatrists, Optometrists, and Veterinarians that have their own practice gets to set their own hours. But, many doctors often work for a larger practice and is a partner or a salaried doctor who isn’t choosing their own hours. So don’t go to Med School just to pick your own hours – you may not be able to open your own practice and it is generally known that in the early days of a being a doctor individuals will be insanely busy working a ton of hours.
- Nutritionists and Dietitians often have own their own practice, or have to go to people’s houses and make their own appointments. I
- Medical Transcriptionists can sometimes work from home and decide when they want to work.